Wednesday, September 11, 2019

A pleasant time in Thantabaar, but with a troublemaker


We stayed at the same Inn as Lina... I mean, the large caravan did.

The dawn came, and I was, of course, ready for my first breakfast. I went downstairs and saw Lina across the room. I asked her if I could join her and the other person at their table. Was he also a caravan officer or her... something?

She introduced him to me: her second-in-command, Pandal Roughchest. What a surname! After less than one minute of conversation, by the veins in their foreheads, verbal and non-verbal cues, I could tell her that the relationship there was not symmetric. As you might have guessed, dear diary, she was not interested. I felt guilty to feel relieved. Sorry, pal! Honestly.

I then ordered tea, bread, and soup, mirroring what she had. Well, that has been working for me so far, so what not?

The caravan would be doing one day of trade in the town. Lina takes care of more... uh... point-of-the-dagger affairs, so she was somewhat free. Then, I asked her to tell me about the trip ahead of us, telling her that I had never left the Shires.

"Why not, rookie?", she said, with a gorgeous smile.

Without realizing, we were strolling by the sea, and most of our conversation took place during that walk. I could quickly tell Lina was nervous, blushing, yet trying to avoid it. That made very nervous as well. Totally not true!! That made me feel awesome! The more I learn to use and trust these "superpowers," the more confident I get. Yay!

She used beach rocks and rough sand to show me the towns and dangerous places we'd be going through. That - allied to that newly-acquired perfect memory of mine - came in pretty handy. Thanks, Lina!

During the conversation, we had apples and peaches for second breakfast. As the time for lunch approached, we headed back to the Inn, where Pandal received us with a confused look - and towards me, a hostile one.

We focused on further preparations to resume the journey the next day with the sunrise.

For dinner, I stayed on a table with other folks, not Lina. Also, I gossiped with Kashorn Alemaker, the Innkeeper, but not much happens around those parts. The only interesting fact I got from him is that Mr. Roughchest is not to be trifled with.

I asked him: "Why are you telling me this? Did he mention something?"

He said, "No."

And he was lying.


No comments:

Post a Comment